UConn Senior Spotlight – Colby Festa ’16

Senior Spotlight Picture

Meet Colby Festa, a senior from Cheshire, CT! Colby is in UConn’s School of Business with a focus on accounting. Colby was nominated for his work on the Probation Review Committee in the Office of Community Standards – “Colby is a very strong leader with incredible incite and empathy for our students…he will certainly be leaving behind a legacy upon graduation.”

What are your post graduation plans?: After graduation, I have accepted a position with PwC in Hartford, CT while continuing to study for my CPA. I hope to be given the opportunity to travel when working, especially to Europe and Asia, two places I have always wanted to see.  Once I complete my CPA I plan to attend law school at night.

What is your favorite UConn memory?: My favorite UConn memory was when I scored my first try on the UConn Rugby Team. Scoring your first try and the celebration afterwards is a rugby tradition and was a meaningful, personal accomplishment on the pitch.  It is an especially important memory because of how much the team has impacted me over my four years here at UConn.  I joined the team my freshman year because I had played in high school and needed an activity to keep me busy.  Since then, I’ve had the opportunity to watch and take part in the development of the program and hope to remain active in the alumni organization for a long time.

Why did you become a husky?: My father went to UConn, so it was a school that I was essentially required to apply to. I remember my mom would drag me around university to university during my last years in high school; dreaded every minute of it.  After being accepted to UConn, my family and I came to Accepted Students Day. Not very excited to be touring the school again, I told my parents that if we left right now I would attend UConn.  We left immediately, and a few days later, I officially became a Husky.  It is not exactly the most inspiring story but I’m so glad I made that decision, and haven’t looked back since.

What is your favorite place on campus?: Is Ted’s on campus? Just joking! I don’t think I have an absolute favorite place on campus.  Sometimes I enjoy finding a table at the Union while enjoying a bite to eat with a friend, other times I just want to find a quiet seat in the Business School and browse the Internet or get some work done.

What have you been involved in at UConn?: I am heavily involved in the UConn Rugby Team, and have held the position of Match Secretary since sophomore year. It has been very rewarding watching the team develop and grow as an organization as well as a team.  Most recently, I have become involved in the Community Standards Office and currently sit on the Probation Review Board.  The objective of the board is to help students evaluate their decisions in order to make a positive impact in the future.  I admire all the administrators who gave me the opportunity to make a meaningful contribution at UConn, as well as being a very rewarding learning experience.  As for employment, I worked my first two years at the Dairy Bar in ice cream production.  It was quite the experience seeing what went into the dessert we all love and enjoy.  I currently work as a painter with the Operations and Maintenance Department at UConn which is mostly compromised of painting offices, classrooms, and dorms around campus.

What will you miss the most about UConn?: I think that the hardest part of graduation will be saying goodbye to those I have become closest to. Not being able to spend time with my friends every day will definitely be a shock since it has become so characteristic to see friends on campus or after classes.  I find many potential students are critical about UConn because it is such a large school, but I think that is what makes it great.  I had the opportunity to develop friendships with so many different people and having to say goodbye to so many is the one unpleasant part of graduating.

What was your biggest accomplishment while at UConn?: I am proud of my academic accomplishments, as well as my extracurricular activates, which prepared me for my internship with PwC. It was an honor to intern with the firm this past summer, and I look forward to beginning my career with them in the fall.

What advice do you have for underclassmen?: I believe the most valuable piece of advice I can give an underclassmen would be to put yourself out there and make the most of every opportunity you have. College is all about what you make it and it can easily be some of the greatest years you will experience.  If there is ever a time to step outside the comfort zone, it is college, and I would encourage every underclassmen to get involved and try everything and anything (within reason) because I was always surprised by how rewarding it was to try something new.

What is one little known fact about you?: I am colorblind.

Anything else?: I’d like to give a big thank you to my friends and family as well as the UConn faculty. You have all contributed to who I am and what I have accomplished and without you I would not be where I am today.  Mom and Dad, thank you for the financial support and for pushing me to always perform to my highest potential.  To my friends, thank you for all the good times that I will never forget.  Business faculty, especially those involved in the Accounting Department, thank you for preparing me to graduate with the confidence that I will be successful in the future.  To the Community Standards Office, thank you for the nomination and the opportunity to learn and grow with you all.