UConn Senior Spotlight – Rachel Buck ’16

In this Senior Spotlight, meet Rachel Buck, a senior from Marlborough, Connecticut! Rachel is majoring in Accounting in the School of Business. Rachel is nominated for her work as an Off-Campus Ambassador – “She is a dedicated student who goes above and beyond her roles.”

What are your post graduation plans?: I am moving to Boston, MA to work for Grant Thornton and studying for the CPA exam.

What is your favorite UConn memory?: My favorite UConn memory was this year’s HuskyTHON. HuskyTHON has become a UConn tradition, and I’m really lucky to have been a part of it. Over 3,000 students participated in HuskyTHON in some capacity this year. It’s really amazing to see what can happen when our campus comes together to stand behind a cause we all are passionate about. Thanks to the efforts of all of the participants this year, Connecticut Children’s Medical Center was able to open the UConn HuskyTHON Center of Procedural Excellence (CoPE), which will help ease the process of preparing kids for minor surgical procedures. If you have never been a part of HuskyTHON, it’s a must-do before graduating.

Why did you become a husky?: Being a husky is a family tradition for me. My dad and brother both received their Bachelor’s degrees here. I came to UConn a lot as a kid, so it was a no-brainer to come to a campus that already felt like home. I was lucky enough to be accepted to the School of Business as an incoming freshman, and I really couldn’t pass that opportunity up.

What is your favorite place on campus?: My favorite place on campus is the Dairy Bar. I’ve gotten the same thing there since I was a kid (chocolate peanut butter ice cream with hot fudge and rainbow sprinkles) and I doubt I’ll change my order even as an alumna.

What have you been involved in at UConn?: This past year I was the Vice President of Fundraising for HuskyTHON, which was the most rewarding experience I have been a part of in my four years. I had the pleasure of counting our final number ($716,394.58 For The Kids!) and working with 24 of the most talented and passionate people I have ever met. I am currently an Off-Campus Ambassador in the UConn Off-Campus Student Services office, where I get to plan and take part in programming for off-campus and commuter students. In the last year I was also the Chief Education Officer for my sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, working to improve our academic programming, ritual programs, and new member education program.

What will you miss the most about UConn?: Everything except for the gym. I‘ll miss my friends and the community that I’ve grown to be a part of over the last four years the most. I’m lucky to live with some of my best friends and to be right next door to everyone else who has made my time here so great. I have met so many people and built so many relationships here, and I will miss being just a few steps away from all of them and everything that UConn has to offer.

What was your biggest accomplishment while at UConn?: I think my biggest accomplishment at UConn was getting my internship and full-time job offers. The opportunities I had at UConn set me up for the jobs that I was most interested in, and I was able to do my internship in Baltimore, Maryland last summer, which was an experience that I am extremely grateful for. I was lucky enough to be offered a full-time job with the same employer in Boston, Massachusetts, which is a little closer to home for me.

What advice do you have for underclassmen?: My advice would be to not take anything for granted. UConn has endless opportunities that you can take advantage of as early as freshman year, and I regret not getting more involved sooner. Try everything at least once!

What is one little known fact about you?: I am probably the only college student that doesn’t drink coffee!

Anything else?: Thank you to the Off-Campus Student Services office for nominating me, Ashley, John, and the rest of the OCSS staff; it has been a pleasure to work with you this past year. Thank you to my parents for putting up with me for this long and helping me get this far – you guys are the best!