UConn Senior Spotlight – Nicky Wasson ’16

WassonNicole_Picture
Meet Nicky Wasson, a senior from Milford, CT! Nicky is a double major in Psychology and Human Development Family Studies in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Nicky was nominated for her work in the Center for Students with Disabilities – “Nicky is a natural leader with the Center of Students with Disabilities. She participates in student mentor programs, and is eager to connect with underclassman and mentor younger students…Her positivity and commitment to her job fosters a welcoming and friendly office environment. Nicky faces difficult tasks and strongly manages multiple priorities. She always remains calm, and performs her job duties with grace under pressure.”

What are your post graduation plans?: I am in the process of applying to graduate schools; I want to get my Masters in Public Administration. I hope to run a nonprofit or NGO one day! I’m also planning a cross country trip with my friends for after graduation.

What is your favorite UConn memory?: Definitely the final four and winning both National Championships my sophomore year. It was so fun when everyone ran to the middle of campus when we made it to the final four and then watching the championship game in Gampel. Unreal experience!

Why did you become a husky?: Being from Connecticut, I come from a family of devout UConn fans. I have been visiting this campus since I was little, coming to basketball and football games and have been saying that I would go to UConn since my Seventh grade field trip to the Puppetry Museum and Dairy Bar. We actually ate in North West dining hall on my field trip and I remembered when I finally ate there as a freshmen.

What is your favorite place on campus?: My favorite place on campus is the Wilbur Cross building. When I’m not in class I’m either working or studying in Wilbur Cross, at Wilbur’s Cafe, or just hanging out there. Plus it is so beautiful and a piece of UConn history. I’m pretty sure I’ve Instagrammed the building in every season.

What have you been involved in at UConn?: I am a student employee at the Center for Students with Disabilities. I work to administer exams and provide support to students who receive accommodations in our office. I love working there and don’t want to leave!! I was also involved in First Year Programs as a mentor, was a Husky Ambassador for prospective students, and was the COO of the TOMS Campus Club my junior year. I was on the cheerleading team as a freshman and also drove Guard Dogs and was in trampoline club.

What will you miss the most about UConn?: Friends, friends, friends!! I am going to miss being surrounded by my friends all the time. I am so thankful for the relationships I have made here and am excited to have these people in my life post college. It will just be a lot harder to see them with everyone doing different things and going different places.

What was your biggest accomplishment while at UConn?: My biggest accomplishment at UConn was probably my own personal growth. I’ve learned a lot about who I am and who I want to be as a person. I have not only so much more academic knowledge, but also knowledge about life. When they say you learn more outside of the classroom, it’s the truth! I have a better sense of what my values are and how I want to contribute to the world and hope to do so.

What advice do you have for underclassmen?: Sounds cliché, but get involved in everything you can! Don’t say no to something just because it doesn’t sound like you would like it because you never know until you try!

What is one little known fact about you?: I guess a “little known fact” about me is that I live on the beach, Silver Sands State Park in Milford. I take it for granted, but I plan to stay on the coast.

Anything else?: Thank you to whoever nominated me from the CSD. I’m so thankful to have been able to work here. Go huskies!