Spotlight: Julian Yuliawan ’18

Julian is an 8th-semester senior music entrepreneurship student from Milford, Connecticut. 

• What semester is this for you?
    • 8th
  • When are you graduating?
    • Spring 2018
  • What’s your major?
    • Individualized: Music Entrepreneurship
  • What’s your minor?
    • Music & business
  • Where are you from?
    • Milford, Connecticut
  • What on-campus activities/organizations are you involved in?
    • Founding Father of Phi Delta Theta fraternity, TME mentor, UConn Idea Grant Recipient, perform at open mic nights & talent shows on campus
  • Any fun facts?
    • I used University funding from the UConn Idea Grant Program to create and release my debut music project titled, Big Dreams.
  • Why do you want to be featured as a UConn Senior Spotlight?
    • I want to be featured in the UConn Senior Spotlight because I want to utilize as many of UConn’s resources as possible, to share my story so that I can inspire individuals in the UConn community to follow their dreams and pursue their passion.
  • Any plans after graduation?
    • I am applying to several of UConn’s entrepreneurial programs with hopes to obtain funding, so I can launch a new business venture that would assist musicians in the UConn community with the processes of songwriting, recording, and song distribution. I also plan to pursue a post-graduate degree in music production at a school in Los Angeles, where I would study under a mentor who has worked with the likes of Kendrick Lamar, Frank Ocean, ASAP Rocky, LL Cool J, Wiz Khalifa, and many more artists. I really want to build my network and connections on both the east coast and west coast, so that I can give back to the UConn community later down the road because UConn has provided me with the opportunities and resources to genuinely follow my dreams.
  • Anything else we should know about the nominee?
    • My recent involvements on campus include Arts Chairperson for the Student Union Board of Governors, treasurer for the UConn Hip-Hop Cypher Club, a member on the Community Standards Advisory board, as well as branch manager for Young Entrepreneurs Across America.
  • What is your advice to incoming freshmen?
    • My advice to incoming freshman would be to reinvent yourself. College is a time where you can become a new version of yourself. So know your strengths, find your passion, and get out of your comfort zone because, in the blink of an eye, you’ll be a senior getting ready to graduate.
  • Where is your favorite spot on campus to study or hangout?
    • My favorite spot on campus to study is the third floor of Homer Babbidge Library because of its window views of campus.
  • If you were an undergraduate for one more semester, what would you do with the time?
    • If I we’re an undergraduate for one extra semester, I would join the skydiving club because I’ve always wanted to skydive. I would also take full advantage of the many different entrepreneurial programs that UConn offers to help kickstart my own business venture.