Applying for Graduation

Applying for Undergraduate Graduation

To graduate, you must apply through the Student Administration System by the due dates specified by the Office of the Registrar. If you fail to file an application, you may not: (1) be granted a degree on the date expected even though you have fulfilled all other requirements for the degree; (2) have your name included in the Commencement program; (3) have your name listed in hometown newspapers as graduating; and/or (4) receive information about and tickets for your Commencement ceremony. The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be processed and any issues can be resolved.

Unless you are a student in the School of Nursing or Pharmacy, you must consult with your advisor in completing a tentative Plan of Study form. The Plan of Study describes how you intend to satisfy the requirements for your degree. You should get the form from the dean's office of your school or college, consult with your advisor, and file the completed form with your major department.

You must submit a final Plan of Study during the first four weeks of the semester in which you expect to graduate. Your  major advisor and department head must approve your final Plan of Study before the Registrar receives it. The approval(s) indicate the advisor and department head believe you meet degree requirements. Your record is still subject to audit by Degree Audit to ensure you have met all requirements. Degree Audit will notify you if a problem is discovered with the final Plan of Study and once their review has been completed.

After You Apply for Graduation

In the Student Administration System, verify that your name is spelled how you would like it to appear on your diploma. Also, verify that the address in the system is where you would like your diploma mailed after graduation. (FYI: This address is also where your copy of your Nutmeg Yearbook will ship if you are a graduating, fee-paying senior at the Storrs campus.)

Check your UConn email account for any messages from Degree Audit. They will inform you if there are any problems with your application and when your application for graduation is complete.


If you have questions about double majors, minors, or other circumstances, please visit the Undergraduate Catalog. If you have questions about graduate degrees, please visit the Graduate Catalog. If you have questions about diploma covers, regalia, or other ceremony-related information, please see the Commencement website.