UConn Senior Spotlight – Kristina Wendl ’16

In this Senior Spotlight, meet Kristina Wendl, a senior from Syracuse, New York! Kristina is an Allied Health Sciences Major in the College of Agriculture, Health, and Natural Resources, as well as a Psychology Minor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Kristina was nominated for being an outstanding student that brings light to the classroom and UConn community.

What are your post graduation plans?: I’m going to be shadowing a PTA/OTA at Cape Cod Orthopedic and Sports Medicine this summer and hopefully I’ll be going to Graduate School in the Fall to get my Masters in Occupational Therapy.

What is your favorite UConn memory?: My favorite memory would be playing Oozeball with my friends. We never won, but it was fun to get everyone together and play as a team. After the game, everyone would tackle each other into the mud and we would leave covered head to toe. Everyone was happy and just having a good time with one another. I might have gotten covered in mud, but it was worth it.

Why did you become a husky?: Being from Syracuse, NY, I get this question a lot. I didn’t know I wanted to be a Husky until I came onto campus. After visiting the campus, I knew that UConn was where I wanted to go. The people were really kind and I felt comfortable to be myself. The fact that Geno is one of the greatest basketball coaches out there doesn’t hurt either.

What is your favorite place on campus?: Horsebarn Hill. It’s one of the most peaceful places on campus and I go there to relax with friends or just to think. It’s great because it’s close to the dairy bar and you can grab some ice cream before enjoying the scenery on the hill. One time freshman year, my friends and I sat on the hill at night to watch a meteor shower. It’s really a great place to be.

What have you been involved in at UConn?: I’ve been involved in several jobs, intramural sports, and clubs. I’ve worked all over campus as a Summer Conference Housing Assistant in Residential Life, a Coordinator for Husky Watch through the UConn Police Department, and an Administrative Assistant at Facilities Operations and Building Services. These jobs allowed me to grow as a leader, make positive relationships, and learn things about the campus I never would have known before. I’ve also been involved in intramural sports like flag-football, soccer, water polo, and volleyball. Lastly, I am in UConn Scuba Diving Club and used to be in Subog Travel as well. I’m extraordinarily lucky to have been involved in so much at UConn and am grateful for the people I’ve had the opportunity to meet.

What will you miss the most about UConn?: I’m going to miss being able to see my friends everyday and the relationships I have made during my time here. I’m also going to miss the sense of community that the campus offers. As a UConn student, you feel like part of a family. I will never forget when we won the National Championship and everyone came together to support the school.

What was your biggest accomplishment while at UConn?: My biggest accomplishment at UConn was the growth I made as an individual. Taking on a leadership role as coordinator of Husky Watch was intimidating at first, but it ended up being a great experience that taught me that I am capable of taking on challenges outside of my comfort zone. Through the different relationships I’ve made, involvement on campus, and job opportunities I have learned so much about myself and acquired so many skills that have made me into a better person.

What advice do you have for underclassmen?: My advice would be to challenge yourself. Don’t limit yourself to where you are comfortable. Sometimes stepping a little bit out of your comfort zone can lead to some of the best experiences of your life.

What is one little known fact about you?: A “Little Known” fact about me is that I’m a certified Rescue Diver. Scuba Diving has been my hobby for years and I actually got my Rescue Diving certification here through UConn Scuba Diving Club.

Anything else?: I would like to thank John Armstrong for nominating me. I would also like to thank my friends, family, boyfriend, and Officer Petsa for all their support over the years.