UConn Senior Spotlight – Elise Dumas ’16

image1

In this Senior Spotlight, meet Elise Dumas, a senior from Beverly, Massachusetts! Elise is a Psychology Major and Minoring in Neuroscience and Women’s Gender and Sexuality Studies in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Elise has been nominated due to her “involvement, dedication, and efforts made to Club Sports.”

What are your post graduation plans?: After graduation, I’ll be attending an Accelerated Bachelors of Science in Nursing program at Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions in Boston. After completing the program I hope to work as an RN in one of the hospitals in Boston for some time. Eventually after getting some work under my belt, my dream would to do some kind of service work and help with communities in underprivileged countries.

What is your favorite UConn memory?: The first time I participated in HuskyTHON as a sophomore would have to be my favorite UConn memory. Eighteen hours on your feet probably sounds miserable (and trust me it’s not easy) but it’s also the most rewarding experience you’ll ever have. That year, HuskyTHON even fell on my 20th birthday – which might not sound like the most amazing birthday party to some, but what better way to celebrate than have a huge dance party with all your fellow huskies all FTK??

Why did you become a husky?: When my mom used to drag me out to a zillion college tours, we always had a running joke that whichever school gave us the most free stuff was the one I’d go to – UConn won! In all seriousness though, I chose to become a Husky because of the countless opportunities that UConn has to offer. From that first college tour, UConn was the only school that really sparked my interest and made college seem a little less scary. Coming from out of state, I was nervous about how to make a good group of friends in such a big school, but with UConn’s hundreds of clubs, research opportunities, and the ability to continue horseback riding, it made UConn feel a whole lot smaller.

What is your favorite place on campus?: My favorite place on campus would have to be Horsebarn (not just the hill but the barn itself)! Being a part of the UConn Dressage Team, every week I look forward to my time spent in the saddle. Whether I’m preparing for an upcoming horse show, going on a trail ride, or exercising horses with my teammates, I always enjoy this as my “me time” to relax and forget about the chores of everyday life!

What have you been involved in at UConn?: I am a member of the UConn Dressage Team, a club sport that competitively rides horses at an intercollegiate level. From being involved with club sports, I was elected to be the Club Sports Council’s Secretary my junior year and am now the President of Club Sports as a senior. I am also a member of Psi Chi (an international honors society in psychology), the Psychology Club, and I work as a Research Assistant in the UConn Child and Adolescent Anxiety Lab. Lastly, I am also a member of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority.

What will you miss the most about UConn?: I will definitely miss having all my best friends live within walking distance from me. I’ve had some of the same best friends since freshman year and it’s really hard imagining that after this semester we won’t be coming back to start another year together in the fall. All the sporting events, concerts, formals, and the lazy nights where you just order Sgt. Pep’s and watch movies were made that much better thanks to the amazing people I’ve got to share these past four years with and for that, I can’t thank them enough.

What was your biggest accomplishment while at UConn?: Being elected as the President of Club Sports would be my biggest accomplishment I’d say. If you’d asked me as a freshman if I ever thought I’d be in this position today, I would’ve probably laughed in your face. Being president has helped me to put myself out there more, be more confident, make connections with more people, and to put my ideas into action – something that feels really rewarding after many long days of hard work.

What advice do you have for underclassmen?: Enjoy the moment, be present, and don’t sweat the small stuff. Not every second needs to be spent checking your phone or making sure everything is documented on Snapchat. These four years go by a whole lot faster than you think – make sure you are actually living them. Lastly, it’s easy to get hung up on the nit-picky things from day to day, make sure you weigh out what truly matters in the bigger picture of life. It’s like my mom has always told me – “take the good and leave the rest.”

What is one little known fact about you?: When I was little, my dream used to be to grow up to be a professional jockey. Unfortunately, I’m not nearly short enough to pursue this dream but I did get to witness American Pharoah winning the Triple Crown first hand this past June at the Belmont Stakes!

Anything else?: Thank you to whoever nominated me! Also a big thank you to my family and friends who have supported me and helped shape me into the person and student I am today. Thank you to the Club Sports department and to Dr. Treadwell and the rest of the Psychology department – I am forever grateful for all the opportunities you have given me. Go Huskies!!