Spotlight: Rob Violette ’18

Rob is an 8th-semester senior majoring in molecular and cell biology from Wallingford, Connecticut. 

• What on-campus activities/organizations are you involved in?
    • University of Connecticut Marching Band, Pre-Dental Society, Alpha Beta Epsilon Academic Fraternity
  • What is your advice to incoming freshman?
    • To the incoming freshman class, my biggest piece of advice would be to get outside of your comfort zone. Coming to this university, you will be exposed to a diverse student population, filled with amazing individuals that come from different backgrounds and hold unique perspectives from your own. Not to mention UConn itself also provides each student with countless opportunities to do things you may never get to experience again. Whether it is going on an Education Abroad opportunity, serving your community on an Alternative Break, or eating way too much Dairy Bar ice cream during the One Ton Sundae event, go for it, never forgetting that your fellow Huskies will always be behind you to help you succeed. So, go out and get involved! Attending UConn is an opportunity that truly happens only once in a lifetime, and you should take advantage of every second of it. Explore your interests, discover new ones, and don’t forget to make as many friends as you can along the way. Your four years at UConn will prove to be the greatest opportunity you have for your own personal development.
  • Where is your favorite spot on campus to study or hangout?
    • When you first walk on to this campus, the first thing you’ll notice is the abundance of gorgeous buildings and outside areas that students can utilize for any of their studying or hangout needs! Although it is hard to just pick one, I would have to say my favorite study spot would be our Student Union. To say that this building has everything a studying student could need is an understatement. There are plenty of areas available to lay out my books and papers and with plenty of charging stations, public computers, and printers, I almost never have to leave. On top of all that, the Union is what I would call the “social hub” of our campus. I always run into a familiar face while I’m there. I can’t forget to mention the food either! Whether I am making my own burrito at the Student Union Marketplace or getting my ice cream fix at the Dairy Bar Too, the Union is definitely my one stop to meet up with friends and get some work done.
  • If you were an undergraduate for one extra semester what would you do with the time?
    • If I was an undergraduate for one extra semester, my time would be dedicated solely to thanking everyone that made my college experience the best four years of my life. Looking back, there has been an uncountable number of people who have helped me reach the goals I set for myself. From the faculty to the staff, to the other students around me, I was constantly surrounded by supportive individuals who pushed me to do more. I truly believe that the sense of community that is found at UConn cannot be found on any other campus in the country and I know I would need at least a few months to thank everyone personally.
  • Any fun facts?
    • I have worked as a campus tour guide since my second semester sophomore year. I have learned so many incredible facts about this University and have had the pleasure to guide prospective students and families around this beautiful campus, hopefully leading them to become Huskies themselves! Having a campus job that not only allows me to work alongside incredible peers but also lets me learn more about this amazing school has truly defined my UConn experience.
  • Why do you want to be featured as a UConn Senior Spotlight?
    • I believe I embody what it means to become immersed in Huskymania. Through my involvement as a tour guide, marching band member, fraternity brother, and organization leader I have become steeped in the traditions of UConn. I have truly found my home away from home in Storrs and have tried to experience every detail here. If my time at UConn can somehow inspire others to take advantage of everything this campus has to offer, then I believe I have made a worthwhile impact.
  • Any plans after graduation?
    • I will be attending the University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine starting this coming fall.

Congrats Rob!