Spotlight: Morgan Reiss ’18

Morgan is an 8th-semester psychology major from Newtown, CT. Her minors include criminal justice, cognitive science, and human development and family studies.

• What on-campus activities/organizations are you involved in? 
    • Vice President of Revolution Against Rape, member of the Woodsmen Team, Tutor/ Hall Monitor for the Student Athlete Success Program
  • Any fun facts?
    • I studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa last summer through UConn, and last semester I interned at the Department of Children and Families in Willimantic.
  • Another fun fact: I’ve attended the puppetry slam every semester since freshman year (that’s 8 times)!
  • Why do you want to be featured as a UConn Senior Spotlight?
    • I would like to be featured as a Senior Spotlight because attending UConn provided me with so many opportunities that I may not have experienced elsewhere, and I want to help spread the knowledge that opportunities like these exist! I have studied abroad, completed 3 internships, worked in a research lab, been a member of a club sport, held an executive board position for a club, worked for many different employers on campus, and taken a broad array of classes. My time at UConn was full of personal and professional growth, and I would love to inspire others to achieve the same.
  • Any plans after graduation?
    • I will be entering a two-year Master of Social Work program, most likely at UConn in Hartford.
  • My advice to incoming freshmen is to get involved in as much as you can. There are so many opportunities to join research, internships, clubs, sports, and other extracurricular activities, so don’t be afraid to try out different things! Especially if you don’t know your major or what you want to do after graduation, clubs can be a great way to figure out what you’re really passionate about and meet people with similar interests.
  • My favorite study spot is Wilbur Cross South Reading Room, because the natural light and cozy chairs make you forget about the freezing weather outside (or having to be inside on a rare warm day in order to see your computer screen.)
  • If I had one more semester as an undergrad, I would spend more time volunteering. Internships, research, club and sport meetings, and my classes kept my free time pretty structured, but I would love to get more involved in organizations like Community Outreach and HuskyTHON.