Spotlight: Rachel Bailey ’18

Rachel is 7th-semester senior mathematics student from Bozrah, Connecticut. 

• What semester is this for you?
    • 7th
  • When are you graduating?
    • Fall 2018
  • What’s your major?
    • Pure mathematics
  • What’s your minor?
    • Statistics
  • Where are you from?
    • Bozrah, CT
  • What on-campus activities/organizations are you involved in?
    • UConn figure skating club, tutor at the Q center
  • Any fun facts?
    • I toured Europe from 2008-2014 as a professional ice skater.
  • Why do you want to be featured as a UConn Senior Spotlight?
    • It was a difficult decision to return to school in 2014 since I had already made a living as a figure skater, however studying as an adult has made me take my education very seriously and appreciate every class that I’ve taken. I have been able to maintain a 4.0 GPA and it would be great to be recognized for my success.
  • Any plans after graduation?
    • I would like to get my Master’s degree.
  • What is your advice to incoming freshmen?
    • Get involved in something outside of your classes that you truly enjoy. Classes get difficult and having that one thing you love to do to take your mind away, even for an hour, is so important. This is why I joined the figure skating team.
    • Also, get to know your professors. If there’s one professor that you found super helpful or liked the way they taught, then don’t stop reaching out to that professor after you’re done with his/her class. I’ve made great connections with some of my professors and continue to ask them for help long after I’ve taken their classes. They have invaluable knowledge that you should really take advantage of.
  • Where is your favorite spot on campus to study or hangout?
    • I proudly admit that my favorite spot to study is the top floor of the math building (Monteith). It’s nice and quiet up there. I also love sitting outside by the lake during the spring/summer. Its a good place for a 15-minute nap…
  • If you were an undergraduate for one more semester, what would you do with the time?
    • Study and skate! Actually, I’d probably try to get more involved with research as well as try to take advantage of what the UCONN campus has to offer. I’ve lived off campus for my entire time as a student here at UCONN and I feel that I’ve missed out on some aspects of campus life.