Spotlight: Anvin Thomas ’18

Anvin is an 8th-semester molecular and cell biology senior student from West Hartford, Connecticut. 

• What semester is this for you?
    • 8th
  • When are you graduating?
    • Spring 2018
  • What’s your major?
    • Molecular and Cell Biology
  • What’s your minor?
    • Mathematics, Bioinformatics
  • Where are you from?
    • West Hartford, CT
  • What on-campus activities/organizations are you involved in?
    • President of Hearts Over Latin America (HOLA), Board Member for The Major Experience (TME), Health Research Program, Windham Hospital Volunteer Program
  • Any fun facts?
    • Has traveled to 15 different countries, including Singapore, India, and Guatemala
  • If nominating someone else: Why did you nominate them to be featured as a UConn Senior Spotlight?
    • Anvin’s an amazing person and honestly one of the most genuine people I’ve ever met. He’s accomplished so much on campus but remains humble. I want Anvin to have his chance in the spotlight because he’s spent his time on campus promoting others and praising their achievements. It’s time for him to be recognized by the larger UConn community. – Sarina Bhargava
  • Any plans after graduation?
    • Taking a gap year before medical school, currently interviewing for research positions
  • What is your advice to incoming freshmen?
    • Get involved as soon as you can, in whatever way you feel best suits you. I know personally that I took a while to get involved, and I wish I joined some clubs sooner. Getting involved makes you feel more at home on campus, especially since the transition period can be rough.
  • Favorite place to study?
    • Library basement. I prefer studying with some background noise, and not in a completely silent environment, so the basement is the perfect spot for me. It’s also great for group work and collaboration.
  • Favorite place to hang out?
    • Dairy Bar! It has the best ice cream in the state, and it’s the perfect place to go to year round.
  • If you were an undergraduate for one more semester, what would you do with the time?
    • If I had an extra semester here, I would take classes I’ve always wanted to take but never had the time to. I missed out on a few interesting electives and would’ve liked to explore different majors or coursework. With an extra semester, I would’ve also continued to develop my leadership abilities and made sure the clubs I’m leaving behind are in a good place for the future.