Senior Spotlight: Micah Collins ’20

We asked the campus community to nominate seniors who are deserving of recognition, so we can showcase how much the Class of 2020 means to UConn. We’ll be posting interviews with selected seniors as our Senior Spotlight series. Enjoy. 

Meet Micah Collins!

Micah Collins photo
Micah Collins Head shot Photo of Micah Collins

When are you graduating?

May 2020

What are you studying?

I have two majors: a BS in Sport Management and a BA in Communications

Hometown?

Ridgefield, CT, though I grew up in Colorado until 8th grade

What on-campus activities/organizations are you involved in?

I’m the Chief Finance Officer for UConn’s Sport Business Association, or SBA for short. We help give students opportunities to begin their careers working in the sport industry.

What’s your favorite “hidden” spot on campus?

I really love the greenhouses between the Pharmacy building and the Bio/Physics building. Great place to get some quiet and see some cool plants!

What has your day-to-day been like since virtual classes and social distancing were introduced?

I try to keep a routine for the sake of my sanity, if nothing else. I wake up around 8 a.m. and spend the morning working through all my classwork for that day. I try to do work for classes on the days that those classes would meet, that way the days don’t blend together too much. My afternoons are less structured; I do a lot of cooking and baking, plus other things that I enjoy doing just to keep myself busy and engaged.

Are there any campus traditions you missed, and any that you might want to take part in as an alum?

I don’t know that there are any campus traditions, but mostly I just miss campus life: Being able to see my friends, having everything close-by, being involved with SBA, etc. The sport management major is a really tight-knit group, so I definitely miss getting to interact with my classmates.

If everything could go back to normal for one hour today, what would you use that time for? 

Oh man, too many choices! I’d definitely pay a very long and pricey visit to the Dairy Bar, as well as spend time seeing my friends and enjoying human interaction again.

What are your plans for after graduation? 

I was hoping to start working in professional hockey after graduation, but it looks like my immediate plans will involve being stuck in my house haha!

Where do you see yourself in five years? 

I’m planning on working for five years, then going back to school for an MBA, so I’d envision myself getting ready to start that.

If you could thank one person for their help throughout your time at UConn, who would it be and what would you say? 

There are so many, I don’t know if I can pick just one. From my family to my professors to my friends and peers, I’ve been so fortunate in so many ways to be surrounded by amazing people. I guess I’d say thanks to my parents. They’ve been so supportive of me over the past four years, encouraging me to pursue some really exciting and unique opportunities during that time that really helped me to become the person I am today. Thanks Mom and Dad, I literally would not be here without you.

What’s a piece of advice you’d like to share with the Class of 2024? 

To the class of 2024, I’m sure you’ve already heard a lot of cliches about college already. “It’ll go by fast”, “It’ll be the time of your life”, that sort of thing, so I’ll try to avoid that! Instead I’d urge you to use this time to really broaden your horizons. Take classes for things you may not know much about, but find interesting. Learn another language. Try out a few different clubs and activities. Travel. Meet new people from different walks of life. When I think about my best times at UConn, those are the kinds of experiences I think of, and I think they’re the most valuable experiences I had as well. Also please practice good dorm hygiene (I CANNOT stress that one enough)!

Anything else we should know about you? Fun facts, hidden talents, favorite memories, advice, etc.?

It’s not so much a fun fact, but I’m pretty proud of the fact that I can speak three languages; I’m a native English speaker, I learned French in high school, and I self-taught Italian. Now I’m using all this time at home to learn Spanish as well.

Congratulations, Micah!