Senior Spotlight: Dea Ziso ’20

We asked the campus community to nominate seniors who are deserving of recognition, so we can showcase how much the Class of 2020 means to UConn. We’ll be posting interviews with selected seniors as our Senior Spotlight series. Enjoy. 

Meet Dea Ziso!

Picture of Dea volunteering at a campus information table

Picture of Dea Dea walking by the sundial on campus

When are you graduating?

May 2020

What are you studying?

Nutritional Sciences major, Didactic Program in Dietetics

Hometown?

Stamford, CT

What on-campus activities/organizations are you involved in?

Director of Student Government Association, CFO of Stamford Campus Sports Club, Cru at UConn, Humanity First UConn, Nutrition Club, UConn Extension and laboratory research at the Biology department and Nutritional Sciences department.

What is your favorite “hidden” spot on campus?

My hidden spot to study is the Beanery. I love sitting by the window and enjoying a warm beverage while studying. When it gets warm and the flowers start blooming, I like sitting at the tables right outside of the cafe. Besides that, Mirror Lake holds a special place in my heart because every time I used to get out of the testing center after an exam, I would take a few moments and sit by the lake to “recharge” before going about my day.

What has your day-to-day been like since virtual classes and social distancing were introduced?

I try to wake up relatively early in the morning, enjoy a good breakfast and have some time to myself. Luckily my house is in the nature, so I get to walk or run outside whenever I finish my school work. Usually in the evenings, I cook something and watch The Big Bang Theory.

Are there any campus traditions you missed, and any that you might want to take part in as an alum?

I am a little disappointed that I couldn’t attend the Senior Send-Off Celebration, but other than that I have tried to partake in all the activities that interested me.

If everything could go back to normal for one hour today, what would you use that time for?

I would definitely spend time with my UConn senior friends getting ice cream at the Dairy Bar and going for a walk by the Horsebarn Hill. Everything happened so suddenly, so it would have been nice to spend time with each other before we go into the real world.

What are your plans for after graduation? 

I will be staying at UConn pursing my Master’s Degree in Nutritional Sciences, as well as working as a Teacher Assistant.

Where do you see yourself in five years? 

I would want to finish my PhD and pursue a Certification as a Registered Dietitian. My career goal is doing research on food allergies in children, but I would also be very happy working as a pediatric nutritionist.

If you could thank one person for their help throughout your time at UConn, who would it be and what would you say? 

I want to take this opportunity and thank absolutely all my professors from the Nutritional Sciences Department. Their work is very inspiring and their support and care for their students is rare. Besides that, if I have to pick one person in my life that has been my rock throughout my college degree that will be my grandmother. She has been incredibly supportive and encouraging throughout these years and has prayed for me more than anyone. I would thank her for all the lessons that are engraved on my mind and for being such a great role model. “Faleminderit Nena Tora, te dua shume!”

What’s a piece of advice you’d like to share with the Class of 2024? 

I cannot tell you that this would be an easy experience, but every time you feel like giving up, remember how selective UConn is in their acceptance and still chose you because UConn believes in you. Always look at the bigger picture: you are made for this.

Anything else we should know about you? Fun facts, hidden talents, favorite memories, advice, etc.?

When I was in high school, my circumstances set me a step back from everyone else. When everyone was picking universities they wanted to go to, I was still adjusting to the U.S. education system. Choosing to go to college has been one of the best decisions of my life, and throughout these years I have realized three important things that will help you achieve your goals: take care of your physical and mental health, surround yourself with people that encourage your growth, and take everything one step at a time.

Congratulations, Dea!