Senior Spotlight: Aakash Parikh ’20

We asked the campus community to nominate seniors who are deserving of recognition, so we can showcase how much the Class of 2020 means to UConn. We’ll be posting interviews with selected seniors as our Senior Spotlight series. Enjoy. 

Meet Aakash Parikh!

Aakash with Jonathan XIV
Aakash with his OOzeball team in 2019 Aakash with a NCAA trophy

When are you graduating?

May 2020

What are you studying?

Molecular and Cell Biology; Minor in Chemistry

Hometown?

New Milford, CT

What on-campus activities/organizations are you involved in?

During my sophomore year, I was in the Public Health House Learning Community. This is where I met a lot of my current friends because we lived on the same floor in NextGen and would tend to have a lot of the same classes together. This same year, I became a member of the Student Alumni Association (SAA) and eventually became the Vice President of Traditions during my junior year, where I planned events like Jonathan’s Birthday Party and OOzeball. I was fortunate enough to be elected President in SAA for my senior year and it has been an incredible experience to lead a great team.

What has your day-to-day been like since virtual classes and social distancing were introduced?

I try and keep a similar routine as if we were at UConn. In the morning, I tend to listen to any video lectures that professors had recorded just to stay on track. In the afternoon, I try to finish any assignments that I have to complete. I typically have virtual meetings during this time with my E-Board or organization advisor, but if I don’t, I try to meet with friends over FaceTime to stay connected. After I’m done for the day, I will have dinner and watch TV with family.

Are there any campus traditions you missed, and any that you might want to take part in as an alum?

I am going to miss not having a Senior Send-Off. I have worked this event the last two years and it is a lot of fun. However, I would definitely come back again to play OOzeball.

What are your plans for after graduation? 

I will be going to Georgetown for a Master’s of Science degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

Where do you see yourself in five years? 

In five years, I see myself working in a laboratory at a biotechnology or biopharmaceutical company performing research in potential therapeutics for human diseases.

If you could thank one person for their help throughout your time at UConn, who would it be and what would you say? 

If I could thank one person, it would be Jess Sokol. I have worked with Jess the last two years because she is my advisor in SAA. She pushed me and taught me how to become a leader, which I never imagined myself doing when I was in high school. I would say to her, “Thank you so much for all of the guidance and confidence that you gave me throughout the last two years! You have been not only an amazing mentor, but a great friend. I can’t wait to be back in my chair in your office when this is all over and chat like we used to!”

What’s a piece of advice you’d like to share with the Class of 2024? 

Take advantage of all the wonderful opportunities/experiences that UConn has to offer, especially the many traditions!

Congratulations, Aakash!