Spotlight: Dan Johnson ’18

Welcome to our 2018 Senior Spotlight Series!

Name: Dan Johnson
Hometown: Prospect, CT
Major: English & Political Science
Campus Affiliations: UConn Model United Nations, Orientation Leader, Writing Center Tutor, TME Mentor (English)

Picture of Dan Johnson with Jonathan XIV

1. Why did you want to be featured in a UConn Senior Spotlight?
    I’m a queer first-generation college student, and I think my various leadership roles on campus make me a role model for other Huskies. I love being involved with mentoring programs like Orientation and TME, and I’m so proud to call UConn home.
  2. What is a fun fact about you?
    For the 2016 Convocation, I was on stage with my fellow Orientation Leaders. It was a really awesome experience because I remember being on that lawn in 2014 and feeling like a part of the UConn community for the very first time. It was really awesome to get to see all of my students again as one big class ready to take on their college.
  3. What is your post graduation plan?
    I’m going to be spending the summer on campus as the Program Continuity Coordinator for the UConn Orientation program and then in August I’m going to grad school to get my M.A./Ph.D. in English (not quite sure where yet – I’m still hearing back from programs). I want to be an English professor and published author.
  4. Is there anything else we should know about you?
    I’ve also previously been a part of the Travel Model UN team. I’ve participated in HuskyTHON twice. Last spring I went on an Alt Break focused on Gender Identity and LGBTQ+ advocacy in NYC. In late March, I am traveling to the Northeast Writing Center Association (NEWCA) conference to facilitate a workshop on Honor Codes in Writing Centers. I love UConn, I’m a proud Husky and I’m going to miss it dearly!

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation, Dan!