Spotlight: Phederine Lyra ’18

Phederine is an 8th-semester senior majoring in marketing from Stamford, Connecticut. 

• What semester is this for you?
    • 8th
  • When are you graduating?
    • Spring 2018
  • What’s your major?
    • Marketing with a concentration in Digital Marketing and Analytics
  • Where are you from?
    • Stamford, CT
  • What on-campus activities/organizations are you involved in?
    • Pi Sigma Epsilon and  Leadership Certificate Series Workshop
  • Any fun facts?
    • Summer abroad in London, England with School of Business; Transferred to Storrs last semester; Previously VP of Student Government Association at Stamford Campus. Favorite classes: any marketing class and Geography class.
  • Why do you want to be featured as a UConn Senior Spotlight?
    • Mostly for my little sister; she follows in my footsteps and I want her to reach higher than me. She will start high school next fall and I want her to take her education seriously and focus on getting to college. We have to make our parents proud because they sacrificed a lot for us. I also want to do this for other young black kids, because representation is everything.
  • Any plans after graduation?
    • Work and travel
  • Any advice to the freshman?
    • University is nothing like high school. Some of what your teachers told you about what it’s like to be a college student were false. Everyone will have a different experience and that is ok.
  • Favorite study spot?
    • My favorite spot on campus is honestly the library. I like to reserve a group study room for however long the breaks between my classes are and I just try to get as much work done as possible. I do that so that I have my nights free or the weekends free to do anything. Sometimes your friends will have spontaneous plans and you gotta go with the flow.
  • What would you do if you had another semester?
    • If I was an undergrad for one more semester I would think in the now and act in the now. A lot of times we think too far ahead and we sacrifice a lot along the journey. The journey should be enjoyable; yes you will have times where life is really not working out for you but that’s ok, you are practicing for the world once you graduate.